Saturday, June 27, 2009

Glazed Coconut Grilled Chicken

I must be craving coconut and chicken...



Sticky Coconut Chicken
from My Kitchen Cafe with my slight adaptations




Chicken and marinade:

6-8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 can coconut milk
1 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
1 tsp. fresh ground pepper
1 tsp. red pepper flakes

Mix together coconut milk, ginger, pepper, and red pepper flakes in a bowl.
Place chicken breasts in a shallow dish and pour marinade over chicken, leaving about half a cup in the bowl. Let chicken marinate for at least one hour. Grill on barbecue.

Glaze:
3/4 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
3 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. red pepper flakes

While the chicken is grilling, bring above ingredients to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until mixture is reduced and thickened, about 8-10 minutes. Be patient because it takes a little while. But once it starts getting really thick, immediately take it off the heat! Glaze both sides of chicken the last few minutes of grilling and serve chicken over rice. I didn't get the glaze done in time, so when the chicken came off the grill, I put the chicken on top of the rice in a serving dish and then drizzled the glaze over the chicken. I put some chopped scallions on top for color and flavor.

Rice:

reserved marinade
2.5 cups water
1.5 cups rice

In a pot add water and marinade. Bring to a boil. Add rice, cover, and cook 15-20 minutes or until the rice is done.


While I was reducing the liquid for the glaze, my kids kept asking what smelled so disgusting. I was worried about how this dish was going to turn out, but it is AWESOME!!! It really has jumped to the top of my list of favorite foods. We had it with fresh corn on the grill. Everyone ate it up, well, except Christian. He only eats hot dogs.

My German chocolate cheesecake cake is cooling and waiting for homemade frosting... pics and recipe coming later...

No comments: